Hi. My name is Zach Ware. I’m an entrepreneur and investor living between Central Texas and Northwest Montana.
- Founder and owner of Freehouse Capital, a permanent equity company that focuses on boring, old economy stuff in Texas and the Upper Rockies.
- Occasional angel investor.
- Consulting venture partner at Trust Ventures, focused on startups tackling systemic problems in highly regulated industries.
- Outdoorsman, aspiring river guide, skier, occasional rock climber, freediver, uncle.
- Learn and write about functional health, evolutionary biology and psychology, stemming from a 2015 shift to focusing on my health in a way that would change everything about how I live and think.
- General psycho training with Central Athlete along with training for my first gravel cycling race in late-2021. Follow my psycho workouts on Strava.
Some things I’ve done:
- Managing Partner of VTF Capital with over 70 seed stage investments in companies including Ring, SpaceX, Asana, Mizzen + Main and 50+ more.
- CEO of NYC-based Pilotworks which provided shared commercial kitchens and services to food companies. I joined as CEO in 2018 to lead a turnaround, ultimately shuttering the company.
- Co-founder of Downtown Project in Las Vegas, a 41-acre urban redevelopment project with former Zappos CEO Tony Hsieh including commercial redevelopment, multi-family residential, small business investment and operating hospitality outlets. Led real estate development, government partnerships and major projects. (NY Times, Fortune, Wired)
- Developed the the 4.5 acre, four building Zappos.com LEED Gold HQ in Downtown Las Vegas. (BI).
- Head of Product at Zappos.com including product management, content and business operations for our family of sites and apps.
- Founded Shift, a Las Vegas transportation startup that nearly killed me. I shut it down in 2015. (Washington Post)
- Co-founded multi-unit coworking company Work In Progress (acquired by Let’s Rally).
- Led retail and ecommerce at The Republic of Tea.
- Led sales and distribution in the Southeast US for a DC-based gourmet food importer and distributor.
- Studied economics and computer science at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, TN and attended high school at Woodberry Forest School in Virginia.
- Held lots of random jobs including working at Starbucks, managing a convenience store, being an electrician’s assistant, picking tobacco on my family’s farm and working in a Walmart meat department for two days.
Get a hand-written email when I write something new. Add your email below.