Hi. My name is Zach Ware. If I were a cow you would say I’m Texas stock, North Carolina farm-finished, West Coast-aged and NYC-seasoned.
I live between Austin, Texas and Northwest Montana.
You can email me at zw at zgware dot com or DM me on Twitter.
- Founder and co-owner of Freehouse Capital, a permanent equity company that focuses on boring, old economy stuff in Texas and the Upper Rockies.
- Occasional investor.
- Consulting venture partner at Trust Ventures, focused on startups tackling systemic problems in highly regulated industries.
- Outdoorsman, aspiring river guide, skier, occasional rock climber, freediver, uncle.
- Learn and write about functional health, evolutionary biology and psychology, stemming from a 2015 shift to focusing on my health in a way that would change everything about how I live and think.
- Strength and conditioning six days/week with Central Athlete plus training for my first gravel cycling race in late-2021. Follow my psycho workouts on Strava.
Some things I’ve done, sort of in reverse order:
- Managing Partner of VTF Capital with over 70 investments in companies including Ring, SpaceX, Asana, Mizzen + Main and 50+ more inspiring teams.
- CEO of Pilotworks which provided shared commercial kitchens and services to food companies. I joined as CEO in 2018 to lead a turnaround, ultimately shuttering the company.
- Co-founded Downtown Project in Las Vegas, a 41-acre urban redevelopment project including commercial redevelopment, multi-family residential, small business investment and operating hospitality outlets. Led real estate development, government partnerships and major projects. (NY Times, Fortune, Wired)
- Developed the the 4.5 acre, four building Zappos.com LEED Gold HQ in Downtown Las Vegas. (BI).
- Head of Product at Zappos.com overseeing product development, content and business operations of the company’s digital and backoffice products (Zappos.com, Couture, 6pm, Mobile).
- Founded Shift, a complex transportation operations and technology company that nearly killed me. I shut it down in 2015. (Washington Post)
- Co-founded multi-unit coworking company Work In Progress (acquired by Let’s Rally).
- Led retail and ecommerce at The Republic of Tea.
- Led sales and distribution to restaurants, grocers and food manufacturers in the Southeast US for a DC-based gourmet food importer and distributor.
- Studied economics and computer science at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, TN and attended high school at Woodberry Forest School in Virginia.
- Held lots of random jobs including working at Starbucks, managing a convenience store, being an electrician’s assistant, picking tobacco on my family’s farm and working in a Walmart meat department for two days.
My general, non domain-specific, world view is most heavily influenced by a few key works:
- Charlie Munger, specifically The Psychology of Human Misjudgment. I’ve been accused of idol worship.
- The lifetime of works of Ryan Holiday, specifically this, this, this and this.
- Thomas Schelling’s paper Enforcing Rules on Oneself.
- Fooled by Randomness and the Incerto works of Nassim Taleb.
- A trio (1, 2, 3) of writings by Tim Urban at Wait But Why.
- Since 2005 I’ve kept particularly powerful things I learn, read and notes from books in a digital commonplace file that I’m happy to share with anyone who asks for it.
Get a hand-written email when I write something new. Add your email below.