Hi. My name is Zach Ware. I’m an entrepreneur and investor based in Central TX and Northwest MT.
- Expanding quality housing options for working families at Freehouse Capital Partners, a real estate private equity firm that acquires and develops multifamily housing in the mid-sized markets of Texas and the Upper Rockies.
- Angel investor.
- Managing Partner of VTF Capital with over 70 seed stage investments in companies including Ring, SpaceX, Asana, Mizzen + Main and 50+ more. We are not currently investing in new companies but continue to support our portfolio.
- Consulting venture partner at Trust Ventures, focused on startups tackling systemic problems in highly regulated industries.
- Outdoorsman, aspiring river guide, wakesurfer, skier, hunter, uncle.
- Learn and write about functional health, evolutionary biology and psychology, stemming from a 2015 shift to focusing on my health in a way that helped me stay healthy in the midst of the craziness of multiple startups.
- Train (for whatever random competition I’ve chosen without thinking about how hard it is) six days/week for with my coach from Central Athlete and the team at Kollective.
- Co-founder of Downtown Project in Las Vegas, a 41-acre urban redevelopment project with former Zappos CEO Tony Hsieh including commercial redevelopment, multi-family residential, small business investment and operating hospitality outlets. Led real estate development, government partnerships and major projects. (NY Times, Fortune, Wired)
- Developed the the 4.5 acre, four building Zappos.com LEED Gold HQ in Downtown Las Vegas. (BI).
- CEO of NYC-based Pilotworks which provided shared commercial kitchens and services to food companies. I joined as CEO in 2018 to lead a turnaround, ultimately shuttering the company.
- Founded Shift, a Las Vegas transportation startup that nearly killed me. I shut it down in 2015. (Washington Post)
- Head of Product at Zappos.com including product management, content and business operations for our family of sites and apps.
- Co-founded multi-unit coworking company Work In Progress (acquired by Let’s Rally).
Work and Stuff
- Led retail and ecommerce at The Republic of Tea.
- Led sales and distribution in the Southeast US for a DC-based gourmet food importer and distributor.
- Studied economics and computer science at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, TN and attended high school at Woodberry Forest School in Virginia.
- Held lots of random jobs including working at Starbucks, managing a convenience store, being an electrician’s assistant, picking tobacco on my family’s farm and working in a Walmart meat department for two days.
Get a hand-written email when I write something new. Add your email below.