This page was updated Aug 29, 2017. (The first version was May 2015!)
I took a temporary-turn-complete break from Twitter, Facebook and news websites in April and haven’t been back yet.
This page exists to help me remind myself to focus. I optimize my life to tune out distractions so I can focus on having the foundation I need to make the best decisions when the opportunities arise.
This is what I’m doing now:
in order of time spent, not necessarily priority
- Acquiring and making long-term, non-venture investments in authenticity-driven, fundamentals-focused product brands, led by outstanding management, that make high-quality, lasting products. (This is via VTF Capital and other organizations.) *
- Supporting and hustling for the leaders behind VTF Capital’s past venture investments, especially the companies I focus on. **
- Reading, lots and lots of reading. Specifically in the areas of psychology, history, biographies and science. On a good day, I spend more than 50% of my time reading or otherwise learning.
- Building and refining my core principles.
- Full-body strength training 3x/week along with my weird food lifestyle.
- Surfing, paddleboarding, rock climbing, freediving or something similarly physical on strength training off-days.
- Learning to freedive and spearfish.
Feel free to email me about one of the above topics. Unfortunately, I am unlikely to respond to messages that aren’t about the above.
How Stuff Gets Added
In evaluating adding anything to my life, I try to prioritize choices that optimize for:
- Low signal/noise ratio
- Low dependence on non-critical external validation
- Maximum location and time autonomy
- Minimal dependence on outside resources (single sources of funding, as self-sufficient as possible)
- Minimal dependence on a single thing (job, project, etc.)
** VTF Capital is still actively investing from our seed-focused venture funds, led by my partner Will. I am focused on non-venture projects related to our long-term plans and am not meeting with new potential venture investments at this time.*
*** As a general partner I am responsible for and wildly excited about all of our investments. There are no favorite children. The companies I spend the most time working with (at their request) are: Thrive Market, Ice.com/CSC Generation, General Assembly, Asana, SurfAir, Ministry of Supply, Stedi, Arylla, Arka, ReturnBase, Adquick, Arylla, Bungalow Clothing, Bow & Drape, AnyPerk, Skillshare.*